We spent a long time at the grocery store this morning because I don't know my way around this new store yet. We finally got done (after doing about three laps around the entire store) and I paid. We got out and I put a sleeping Hailey in the car, loaded the groceries and then started to buckle Miles into his car seat. I felt great that things had gone so smoothly all morning long and that's when I realized Miles was holding a container of mini-skittles and happily chomping on them. We exchange the following words:"Where did you get those?" (I already know the answer. I'm not sure why I asked. Maybe out of exasperation.)
"Candy! Yummy!" (Miles was in one of those car carts---the ones with cars on the bottom the kids can ride in---and I vaguely remember him pointing to the candy while I unloaded the cart. But I was trying to get out of the store as quickly as possible so I didn't think much of it at the time...)
"Miles, we are going to have to go back in the store and pay for those."
"NO! Mine!"
At that moment, I started a monologue about honesty and integrity. I thought it was very good---maybe even worthy of some background music. Miles just looked at me and popped another skittle in his mouth. I stopped. That's right. I forgot. I'm dealing with a two-year-old. So I simply say,
"No, it belongs to the grocery store." Being the ruthless mom that I am I snatch his candy away and I'm almost glad to hear him cry in protest...
So, I had to unload Hailey, unbuckle Miles and hike back in the store with both of them. (This is one of those moments where I'm reminded that doing the right thing is often far from the convenient thing!!)
Miles had to tell the clerk what he had done (which he did in a very quiet whisper) and then give the clerk two quarters to pay for them. I wanted Miles to give the candy back completely, but since he had opened them that was no longer an option.
Maybe this week we're going to have an FHE on what stealing is and why we don't do it.
11 comments:
Oh, the fun things to look forward to! Good job, Tiffany--I would have thrown the skittles away in the trash right in front of Miles to teach him a lesson.
A talk worthy of backgroung music, eh? You're funny! :) Sounds like you did a good thing, even though it was a frazzling situation.
That is something EVERY mother will experience some time. Great teaching opportunity. You did a great job!!
How embarrassing. I totally understand in getting some joy in hearing the cry when you took the candy away.
I have totally been there! I remember doing it too. I think mostly we are learning here, and not them. They get their turn when they have kids!
This made me smile!
Tiffany, this little story made me smile, laugh outloud and glow with pride because of you and the mother you have become. Just know that Miles came by this criminal activity by way of his Aunt Amber...she did the same thing at about the same age. She took a package of some little candies from 7-11 (where else in our family?) when she was there with dad. The only problem was that when he took her back into pay for the candy, the clerk told her it was OK, she could just have them. Dad said no, she had to pay and she must have learned the lesson because she never did it again.
:-) Love, MOM
Poor guy, he just wanted some candy...hehe
Good handel of it Tiff, I bet it was tempting to just forget about it and drive away, but you did the right thing and I know Miles learned his lesson.
I can so relate to this. Just last week at Walmart Jaden was trying to get take some candy. I told him if he took it the police would take him to jail. He quickly put it back. The lady behind me laughed, and said probably not at his age, but at least he got the point.
This was such a funny post-you're awesome Tiffany. No criminal kids yet, but I do remember doing something similar when I was really little (never again though!). Mile's has a good mommy.
Good luck Tiffany! I can't remember how many times I stole candy when I was little, although I do remember getting very good at it. What I would do is just eat it REALLY fast, before my mom could catch me and make me take it back. So now is the time to be super vigilant so that Miles doesn't end up like me...a hardened candy criminal.
Post a Comment