Wednesday, September 10, 2008

bronchiolitis

This is what Miles what diagnosed as having last November. It means his little lungs and tubes get clogged with mucus and then his tubes tighten up as a reaction. When this happens I called it an attack. Very suddenly and usually in the middle of the night he starts coughing and wheezing. He can't sleep. He's clingy. He cries. He has a tough time breathing. It's terrible.

Today I found myself calling the doctor again because Miles was wheezing. They had me rush him in--at 5:20 (after closing time). After checking the oxygen level in his blood the pediatrician determined it was pretty bad--borderline sending him to the hospital. Miles was given an oral steroid to get his tubes to open up. The steroid was also supposed to stop the creation of more mucus. He then had two breathing treatments with a nebulizer. After this his oxygen level was up to normal and he had stopped wheezing.

He will now have to have a breathing treatment twice a day for years to come. He also will begin taking allergy medication daily. The pediatrician wants to see him again in 10 days and said he would call tomorrow morning to see how things are going.

When we first got to the pediatrician's office I was asked lots of questions. I started to tear up as I answered. At home with my kids I am almost always composed because I realize they look to me for their nurture and protection. In their eyes I am strong and can help them with anything. But, honestly I am growing up right alongside them just in different ways. And even though I didn't show it until tonight at the doctor's office, I was scared.

Today all Miles wanted to do was be held--he wouldn't eat, drink, or sleep. Tonight he was happy, talking, eating and back to his old self. I can't even begin to express my gratitude for modern medical advances!

We start his breathing treatments and allergy medication tomorrow. The pediatrician is hopeful this "control medicine" will end Miles' wheezing attacks. I am hoping too!

10 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh,Tiffany, that must have been hard! I'm glad he is starting to get better. I hope the treatments work.

Aubrey said...

I'm glad the treatments are starting to work. How tough for all of you.

Cherise said...

I am glad someone else cries when they start asking questions. I thought I was the only one! Just shows how much we care and are worried about them :) I hope he feels better, especially with "the season" coming soon. Hopefully the daily treatments will help prevent thee colds from creating respitory problems.

The Lewis Family said...

My poor little nephew. Give his lots of mommy time and he'll be good as new really quick. If you need anything let us know!

Emily said...

Oh Tiffany, I'm so sorry. What a hard thing to deal with. Let me know if you need anything!

Carbonneau said...

How sad. :( poor Miles, and poor Tiffany! It is so hard to watch when little kids are sick and can't fend for themselves.
We have done a lot of the breathing treatments and we tell the boys they get to wear the elephant nose. :) We make it a game, eventually he will be holding it himself and will understand that it makes him feel better!! Good luck!

The Boring Family said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only mom that breaks down and cries! I'm glad that you have an excellent pediatrician to look out for Miles! Morgan can't lose her future husband!

Lynette said...

That sounds so scary. I'm glad that he didn't have to go to the hospital and is doing better with his medication.

Becky said...

Yikes. My nephew is very much the same, and my sister has gone through all sorts of methods to help him along. Good luck!

Christina said...

Poor Miles and Poor Mom!! I am so sorry that Miles had such a tough time. We actually had Christian hospitalized two times with a two day stay once for his oxygen blood level. He has asthma. It is tough in the beginning because it is all new. But at least for me I know now how to better prevent it and if it does happen it always works out of course because of modern medicine and it certainly is a wonderful comfort!! Hope things get better!! Keep us posted:) And let us know if you need any help:)