Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Note to self: Christmas toys in the shed

Yesterday afternoon Miles called out to me, "Look! I found the big truck again!"

The big truck is a used rescue rangers fire truck about half the size of Miles. It also happens to be one of the several toy vehicles Santa was planning on bringing him this year. It had been in corner of the den closet hidden by a filing cabinet and an empty shoe box placed strategically just right.

I have a hard time finding hiding places for presents. This is for two reasons. First, I am short. It's annoying dragging chairs to reach the tops of closets or the tallest cabinets. I guess it's a little out of laziness but I try to keep everything on levels I can reach.

Second, Miles finds his way into every nook and cranny of our house. I assume this is a little kid thing, but maybe it's just a Miles thing. He's often halfway under our bed, he drives his hot wheels around what he calls "tiny roads" in all the closets and he even climbs behind the couches regularly (he also gets stuck almost every time).

This all adds up to what I said before, no good hiding places. Miles has found his Christmas presents on more than one occasion so far. As soon as he's not looking his Christmas toys mysteriously disappear and he's wondering what happened.

Well, this time I was fed up. I let Miles play with his big truck until nap time then I hauled the Christmas loot out to the shed. That ought to work. Miles woke up and asked, like always, "where did that big truck go?" I didn't really lie. I just said stuff like, "It's not in the family room?" and "Did you check your room?" ending with "Hmmm...what a mystery."

9 comments:

Emily said...

Oh boy can I relate! Sarah discovered the kids ENTIRE Christmas on Saturday and told them all! Lucky for you Miles is still so young that just about anything will make him happy!

Christina said...

I loved reading this story. You have such a cute way of explaining things. I think it is too funny that Miles knows all the ins and outs of your house. Maybe it is the engineer coming out in him!! Good thing for the shed!! I know one of these years my kids might venture into my secret stashes so maybe I need a shed too!! I love Miles so much he is always such a sweet happy boy. I am sure he will find other means of entertainment to move on to and forget all about it until Christmas!:)

Debbie Jones said...

Your story made my smile and chuckle. I can just picture this exchange. Just don't leave the shed open when Miles is outside or he will grow up with some sort of complex from having his toys disappear all the time. :-D

The Lewis Family said...

You are AWESOME Tiff. Not just for admitting your SHORTcoming...hehe...but just in general. You have to write a book someday, your posts usually make me laugh out loud. I love reading your blog.

The Boring Family said...

Good one. Morgan never looks under our bed so I can hide stuff there. The only problem is, I forget it's there and end up getting a new present instead. However, it is playing to my advantage this year because I didn't have to buy either of the girls Christmas. I looked under my bed and there were two toys left...an infant one for Sadie and a toddler one for Morgan.

Lynette said...

We've been lucky so far with Riley. He can look at the toys everyday and not ask to play with them. He even went shopping for his birthday gifts and let me put them away when we got home. You sure have your hands full with Miles. What a cutie!!!

Cranberryfries said...

Tricky little Miles. Good thinking about the shed! We haven't decided on the kids big item yet but now I know we'll be putting it in the shed when it gets here!

Stephanie said...

How funny! Miles is good! Lizzie is our present finder around here. I'm glad we don't have the only house where toys magically disappear!

Becky said...

Ha! That's a funny story. I think my parents put a lot of stuff in the trunk of the car... maybe try that?