Thursday, January 7, 2010

Finding a distant relative by accident



Fredrick and Emily before they got married,
I think Emily was so pretty!


Before I had children I was into genealogy. My grandma always shared awesome stories about her family and their parents, grandparents, etc and I loved to listen. I used to love to pour over the names of my ancestors and look at their pictures. I know many of my ancesters' names by heart. I know their pictures too.

So it's easy for me to remember that my great-great grandparent's names are Fredrick and Emily Zaugg and that they lived in Idaho and had twelve kids, one who became my great-grandma Bertha....I even remember that Emily was only 5 feet tall (according to grandma)--just like me!

So when I was chatting with Marisa Zaugg from my ward today and she mentioned her husband's family is from Idaho I immediatly knew I must be her husband, David's, distant cousin! She said his great grandpa was Fredrick and I mentioned to her that was the name of my great-great grandpa! David's grandpa's name was August and I said I knew about August--I'm positive my grandma has even told me stories that included her mother's brother August!!

It's a small world out here in Marana!

5 comments:

Debbie Jones said...

Very cool. Did you also know that Friedrich Zaugg had another first name and it was Jean. I just found that out last weekend working on newfamilysearch.org. Check it out. You can tap into what is already there. It really is a small world.

Carrie said...

I had a similar thing happen in Gillette with the RS president's husband being related to Andrew through members of the Willie Handcart company. Cool stuff huh?

Lindsey said...

Wow! I'm so impressed that you know so much about your great-grandparents! Mikes & Hailey are lucky to have a mom to tell them all about their ancestors!

Joseph and Tiffany said...

Unfortunately, I don't tell them much about their ancestors. But I've been going through a CD of old family photos my grandma gave us and I'm getting excited about family history all over again. Hopefully when Miles and Hailey are a little older we can talk more about ancestors.

Christina said...

That is so awesome Tiffany! I loved talking about ancestors when I was little with my grandmother too. Now I am so glad I did because I recorded names that I now have for future work. That is a really neat story. I bet your kids will love hearing the stories you have to tell about their ancestors!:)