Monday, March 1, 2010

Three days in Dallas

Joey and I spent 3 AWESOME days in Dallas this last weekend. I loved every minute of it! We drove to the airport early Friday morning (5:30am) and got off the plane in Dallas at about noon. From the Dallas airport we drove to the Dallas temple and did a session there. The Dallas temple was HUGE and empty for the most part. There were only a handful of people in our session. It was so quiet and peaceful.

It was a great start to our mini-vacation!

 
(It was cold and rainy and Joey forgot to pack at coat or jacket!
At least his suit coat kept him semi-warm for most of the first day.)


After the temple we went to a park Joey had read an article about. From the park, we could see the skyscrapers from downtown Dallas and there was a big beautiful lake with lots of green grass. So pretty!

 
(We went straight from the temple to the park and Joey decided to change out of his suit in the car!
Lucky for him nobody walked or drove by while he changed.)
 
b


After walking around the park we met up with Joey's sister Laura, her husband David and David's brother  and sister-in-law John and Andrea. John and Andrea took us to a Texas steakhouse with a live country band, wood dance floors, and...

 
a mechanical bull! 

I wasn't going to ride it, I felt like everybody in the restaurant was watching those who rode the bull and I  certainly didn't want to be the center of attention. I was just going to let all the guys have a turn...But when Laura had enough nerve to do it that gave me some courage! I'd like to say it was fun, but it was actually a little scary. I was afraid to let go of the harness and I had to wait until my fear of getting whiplash from the wild ride was stronger than my fear of falling off the bull before I could let go!

On Saturday we attended SIX hours of a parenting conference. It was great! I felt like a learned some good stuff and I hope to apply it! I've been waiting for Miles and Hailey to say thanks for going and refining my "mama skills" but they haven't yet ;).

We were able to see our very good college friends, Alex and Adraine Cavallini for lunch between conferences. They live in Fort Worth and were in Dallas for the day. I regret not getting a picture of us all--we were pressed for time and it slipped my mind, but it was fun to see them!

Saturday night we went to one of the BEST restaurants I have ever been to. It's in Garland, TX and it's called...

 
 (The food was delectable! I want to go back there again someday!!)

Sunday we went to a good ol' Dallas suburb ward with John and Andrea's family. And then we flew home. 

Word has it Hailey "wasn't herself" while I was gone. And I think I know why. I noticed last night both kids had pinkish eyes...and today my fear was confirmed..it's pink eye. Poor guys! Thanks Leslie, Marcus, Lindsey and Dave (and little Sophie) for taking care of our kids while we were gone.

8 comments:

Carbonneau said...

how fun! what was the parenting conference? who was it by? A weekend get away really can do wonders, it is so hard to let the kids go sometimes..but I bet it was refreshing!

Lynette said...

What a nice get away. Not only did you learn some great stuff but you got yourself refreshed to try it out. Sadly, you might not get a thank you from the kids until they are in the depths of parenting and really realize what a great mother they have.

Joseph and Tiffany said...

Kati, it was a Love and Logic conference (two 3 hour sessions--one session about preschoolers and toddlers and one session about elementary school aged kids). It was by Jim and Charles Fay (father and son)--they write the books. I think there's probably a million different ways to parent and do a great job--but this one fits me and I like this particular style. Lynette, that's very kind of you to say I'm a great mother. Gosh, I don't know...but I certainly do try to put forth the effort. Thanks for your kind words!

Debbie Jones said...

Sounds like a really fun weekend. Glad you could go. Hope Miles and Hailey are feeling better soon!

Hot Foil Designs said...

I love the post! I had fun too, so glad we got to spend the weekend together trying new things...now off to try my new parenting skills!

The Boring Family said...

I'm glad you had fun! I told you, Brian loves to go to Dallas and our friends in our ward that are from there can't wait to get back! Way to go riding the mechanical bull! I'd probably be hugging it's neck so hard it would fall off!!
Sorry about the pink eye. It's been going around our ward and at preschool and somehow my girls have escaped it!

Cherise said...

I just realized why I haven't seen your posts on my google reader... duh. I forgot you went private. I am a dork! That looks so fun! Did Joey have work to go to or was it a vacation trip?
How fun! I love couple trips!

Nicole said...

That looks like a great trip!