Tuesday, August 22, 2017

First Day of School, August 22, 2017

A picture is worth a thousand words

Can you tell who is annoyed that I wanted to stop on the way out the door for a picture this morning?

Can you tell if I let my children pick out their own outfit ensembles or not?

Can you tell who is always the peacemaker wanting to help everybody be happy when Mom says "Smile! No seriously, smile. Come on Miles, just smile it's not that big of a deal."?

Can you tell who might be feeling choked?

It's not a perfect picture and I'm not a perfect mom, but this was our real life morning. I feel like I swung back and forth from doing good things to making mistakes. For example, I yelled at Miles this morning and feel incredibly guilty about it. But I did give each child a present (Hailey's new shirt, Miles' new watch are two of the gifts you can see in the photo). I made pancakes happily and made sure the kids and Joey were stuffed with food, but then felt quite annoyed at the huge mess in the kitchen when everyone left for school and work. I let the kids pick out their own clothes (good mom!) but I let them pick out their own clothes while seeing their peers at the bus stop in brand-new cute, perfectly matched outfits so I had to give myself  a pep talk about how good it was I let them pick out their own clothes...

"There's cracks in everything. That's how the light gets in." -Brene Brown from the book "The Gifts of Imperfection". Luckily for my kids I'm full of lots of genuine 'cracks' (imperfections), so there must be plenty of light too!

And so goes my beautifully, sweet imperfect life. Another school year. 

I love you kids. I'm sorry I yelled Miles. Maybe I should stop making you take pictures all the time? Hailey, thanks for always loving us all just the way we are, and always smiling too! Clay, you're going to rock 1st grade, by the way, what are you staring at on the ground there? Paige, just tell Hailey if you think she's choking you next time. See you this afternoon! Love, Mom


No comments: