"Mom, what do you think?" It's a question this kind and amazing girl asks me often. And, sometimes, there is a longer than normal pause on my end...because...for me that question is so powerful and also so loaded.
I want to handle her heart with care and love.
A penny for my thoughts? I imagine not many would offer that, but this girl wants to know.
Because of my own challenging childhood experiences I can be hypervigilant about what I say and how I act with my children. I have not been as forthright as would sometimes benefit them and I can get caught up in a whole disarray of thoughts and feelings in just the few moments after she asks...and then I come back to the present moment, and see her.
There is so much I want to share with and teach my kids. I want my heart to always be in the place where my thoughts are strengthening, compassionate, and helpful.
It's hard work, parenthood is. Raising children is full of enough chips, raw edges, and cracks that it can be painful and humbling. But raising children is also overflowing with joy and love and beauty so strong it's enough to soften and make meaningful--even holy for me--all of the hard things. There truly is so much warmth and light shining through the cracks--and it's from God.
Speaking of light--she shines--this tender, sweet girl. The light springs forth from her and I can see it and feel it. That's one thing I think for sure! I love her.

No comments:
Post a Comment