Monday, January 7, 2008
Choosing breakfast
I want to share what Miles did today before I forget. When Miles woke up around 6:30 I was finishing getting some toast, eggs, and applesauce ready for him to eat. I got him out of his crib and opened the fridge for his milk. Miles saw something and got excited as the fridge closed. Through broken "baby English" and pointing he communicated he wanted something in the fridge. I opened the fridge and he grabbed a bag of hot dog buns (we keep our bread products in the fridge). He really wanted a hot dog bun. This made me laugh inside, but I kept a straight face and asked him which he would really like...a hot dog bun or the breakfast I had made him. He was sure he wanted that hot dog bun. I was chuckling inside, thinking how cute this all was, but very matter of factly gave him his choice of breakfast, put him in his booster chair, and then quietly put his real breakfast in front of him just in case he changed his mind. Of course he did change his mind after halfway through chomping on his hot dog bun. He's learning how to make choices for himself and today was just another example of him refining that skill I guess. I'd better get going. He just walked into our computer room without any pants on--and I put pants on him this morning so I better see what's up!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That's a cute story. I only wish Morgan would always choose the better food choice when given options. Most of the time she is good, but there are those times when it seems she won't eat anything but the cookie on the counter! I guess I just have to be grateful for the many days she picks the healthy option!
I know what you mean. Most of the time Miles is a great eater and I can't complain, but sometimes he just wants to eat something completely off the wall. Most of the time I'll try to allow him to have his choice as long as it is reasonable and he's been good about eating healthy choices--but I have to admit that Christmas time was a challenge because of all the cookies neighbors brought us. Admittedly, I finally threw away our massive amounts of goodies after Christmas was over. (I really appreciated the thought but I didn't want Miles (or me) craving sugar treats all day long.....)
Tiffany,
Way to go. Teach him to CTR early.
Love, MOM
Post a Comment