When Miles was just a couple of months I noticed some little flakes stuck to his scalp. I decided to take a soft bristle toothbrush, some baby shampoo, and water and massage his head. I still remember how much he loved it. In fact he enjoyed this scalp massage so much that I got carried away and just kept massaging with the toothbrush for a very long time. The next day I noticed Miles was as bald as a cue ball. Apparently I had massaged his little baby hair right off his head! Not that he had very much in the first place. I hadn't noticed any hair on the toothbrush the day before. Where did all his hair go? In the bath water? I still have no clue... But it took months for any hair to grow back...
Now we use a toothbrush for Miles the way it is supposed to be used--for his teeth. For as long as he has used a toothbrush he has hated it. I've tried everything I could think of to get Miles to like brushing his teeth---having him brush his teddy's teeth first, showing him how I brush my teeth, even letting him brush my teeth for me. Nothing worked. When he saw his toothbrush come out at the end of the day he would shriek and run in the opposite direction.
Recently something worked! I started asking Miles if he would open his mouth so I could look inside and see all the food he had eaten that day. Miles loves this game. While I recite to him everything he had for breakfast, lunch, and dinner I "brush away" each piece of food. In fact, the other night after I was done brushing his teeth I forgot that he had had some cookies and he said to me, "Cookies, mommy!" He opened up so I could brush away the vanilla wafers.
I know we never brush for the recommended two minutes (don't tell our dentist!) but at least he lets me brush his teeth for a good 30 to 40 seconds. It's a lot longer, a lot better and a lot happier than it used to be.
So I've learned that being a mom is like being a scientist. You have to keep trying and trying and trying until something works. And sometimes you've just got to learn from your mistakes and not make them again--like massaging an infant's scalp with a toothbrush.
8 comments:
Tiffany,
You are such a cool mom. Thanks for this post. The story about "brushing" Miles' hair off made me smile. Wish I could see him getting all the food brushed off his teeth.
Love, MOM
I loved this post! You are a great mom. Celeste loves having her head rubbed too... though now I know to keep it light and short!
I like your idea! I will have to try it on my boys!
That's so creative and not only teaches Miles about brushing his teeth but it helps improve his concentration and memory. Being a mom is truly about multi-tasking!
Emily does the same thing, I'll have to try this when I get home.
That's a great idea. I'm going to remember it for when Morgan stops liking to brush her teeth. She thinks it's really cool to brush her teeth like mommy and daddy.
You are a good mommy! So clever.
Thanks for the awesome tip to tell the parents of my pedo. patients! Don't worry about the 2 minute thing right now. At least he's letting you brush right?! You are such a good mom!
Post a Comment