Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Name game

 My personal favorite is how Miles used to say his name--"Doughy"

Joey has three names he is commonly called and I thought it would be fun to record it.

When I met Joey in 2002 he introduced himself to me and everyone else as Joey. Everyone at BYU called him Joey.

 But one of the first things I noticed about Joey's family when I met them was that they called him JOE. My favorite memory of this is when one of his aunts leaned over to me and said, "I'm Joe's favorite aunt."  I didn't realize she was talking about the guy I only knew as Joey so I leaned in closer looking at the crowd of relatives around us and asked, "Which one's Joe?" 

Then Joey started work as a technical support for the Church. Church employees would call for technical support over the phone and Joseph would answer. Everyone at his work knew him as Joseph. He started introducing himself as Joseph to everybody. While he introduced himself as Joseph I always referred to him as Joey. Before long we had other newlywed friends where the wife would call him Joey (because that's what I would say when I was talking to her) and the husband would call him Joseph (because that's how he introduced himself.) Sooner or later they'd ask what exactly they should call him anyway--Joey or Joseph?  

We ended up moving back to Joey's hometown just by chance so he could work at Raytheon. This has complicated the name issue a little more. A couple of months ago a new mom I'd never met in our ward came up to me and asked, "Are you Joe's wife?" and I already knew she must have grown up with Joey. My friends and our neighbors all call him Joey because they talk to me most often and hear me refer to him by that name. And most of the guys in our ward as well as everybody at Raytheon call him Joseph. Then there's our families--my use of Joey and Joey's use of Joseph seem to have worn off on family and he gets called a whole jumble of Joe, Joey, and Joseph from the extended family at this point. I can't keep track of what relative calls him what anymore. Although Granny Hancock will always call him Joe and Grandma Jones will always call him Joey--that I know for sure!

And apparently I've changed too. I now call him all three names... He recently told me he can tell when I'm upset about something because I'll start calling him Joe--I guess I do this without even realizing it. And sometimes Joseph sounds good so I use it. And of course Joey works best for most every day purposes.   

So what should you call him? I don't know. Call him whatever you want. Just don't call him late for dinner!

9 comments:

Lindsey said...

Yes, I remember how weird it was when you joined the family and you kept referring to my brother as "Joey." Joe was many things, but never a Joey in our house.

Debbie Jones said...

Which does he prefer? We started out calling him Joey because you did, but then I thought he preferred Joseph so I started calling him that, but I think that dad, Alex and Josh still call him Joey.

Joseph and Tiffany said...

Well, I think he likes Joey or Joseph at least that's what he tells me.

The Boring Family said...

What about Thomas? Does he still reply to that? (Probably only when we're around, though...) Cute recollection of the story!

Joseph and Tiffany said...

Haha! I thought about adding Thomas in there just for fun!

Nicole said...

Too funny! When Jared was growing up everyone called him JD but I only know him as Jared. So when we were first dating his parents called him at my house and asked for JD and my mom said that no one by that name was there :). His family and old time friends still call him JD.

Lynette said...

I call him Joey but like you said the wife calls him Joey and the husband Joseph. Matt refers to him as Joseph. It's just too hard for me to think of him as anything other than Joey. But definitely not Joe.

Cherise said...

This cracks me up. I was confused. I didn't want to offend you, I always thought it was Joey, but I hear you call him Joeseph. So I wondered if I was saying it wrong. haha. good to know!

Hot Foil Designs said...

Aunt Lisa called him "Ralph" when he was a kid - maybe that's what we should go with! We certainly can't use his middle name that would be even MORE confusing!