Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Good-bye tree

Tucson has grown on me. Aside from the blazing and intense heat filled summers it's a great place. And I actually do look forward to one thing about summers here, the monsoons! We love the monsoons! Just like the heat, the monsoons can be extreme and intense. But, they are fun to watch!

Yesterday, the monsoons did a little landscaping for us. A huge storm hit and we all watched from our front window as it uprooted our mesquite tree! The storm also left our neighborhood without power for a few hours.


The kids thought it was so cool to use our battery powered lantern around the house. They called it a "camp fire" and they took baths, changed into jammies, and read stories by their "camp fire." I didn't mind being without power. I think it's kind of fun...for a few hours :).

After the storm Joey worked quickly to remove the tree from our yard. Our neighbors, Kurt and Cathy, came home and Kurt ran in, changed his clothes, and came out with work gloves and tree loppers to help us. Amazingly we had sawed the trunk, uprooted most of the roots and had the entire tree cut into pieces by about 8pm. We could not have removed that tree so quickly with out their help!! I am SO grateful to have so many awesome neighbors close by.

Good-bye tree!


4 comments:

Lynette said...

Sorry to hear you lost your tree. We lost our mesquite last year. Our kids loved using their flashlights too but were quite sad when their night light and usual "go to sleep" music couldn't be turned on at bedtime.

Debbie Jones said...

Wow, that tree was looking so nice in your yard too...oh well...that kind of thing happens. I hear we missed quite a storm while we were away. The dust storm up here was huge and our car, plants and whole hoouse was covered in silt. sounds like you all have fun without the electricity...an adventure for little ones.

Lindsey said...

This post totally reminds me of some awesome childhood days of blackouts and storms. I even remember our climbing tree fell down in a similar storm to this one! I'll miss your mesquite though. I really liked it.

Lindsey said...

That's so sad about your tree, it was getting really nice out there. You guys should definitely plant a new one! I loved the part about the "camp fire."
--Dave