Sunday, July 3, 2011

Random Sunday thoughts

My five-year-old flipped over the back of the pew we were sitting in in church today. I watched it happen and hoped that he would hit his head. Last Monday night for FHE we went to the church, filled into the chapel and practiced sitting reverently for extended periods of time. No flipping occurred that night.

A distant relative recently died. His name was Ted, he was married to my grandpa's cousin, Devona. Whenever I was in Utah I would go visit Ted and Devona. They were a kind old couple and really enjoyed our company. Ted was one of the nicest people I knew. I put his small newspaper obituary in my scriptures--it felt like a good place to keep it because he seemed to have so many of the good, Christ-like qualities I want to develop. He and Devona were some of those rare people you meet who truly radiate love.

After church I made my five-year-old practice being reverent by sitting on our piano bench--in hopes that no more pew flippings will occur. Later on I read a huge stack of picture books with a kicking (and luckily cooing not crying) baby on my lap and the two kids by my side. The house was still looking messy even after everybody cleaned up a little. And when bedtime (7pm) rolled around I was relieved. Goodnight #1, goodnight #2, breastfeed, burp and goodnight #3! I was tired and frazzled and had deliberately, painstakingly kept my cool at several different times tonight.

When I walked into our bedroom I noticed a little piece of paper with a smiley face on it jaggedly cut out with a little pair of scissors. Several months ago Miles had a primary lesson about service and received a smiley face to leave in place of a secret act of service. We used the smiley face several times around the house as we did service for each other before it was lost. Tonight Hailey did an act of service for her brother and dad (she put their shoes away for them) and wanted to make paper smiley faces to leave for each of them. I had helped her get out the crayons, paper, and scissors. In the craziness and exhaustion of the early evening before bedtime I had forgotten all about it. But now, in the new quiet of the night I found the smiley face on our bed. My feelings of annoyance and fatigue were replaced with love for my kids. It made me SO grateful that I had so deliberately kept my cool when I was frustrated, exhausted, and feeling overworked. It was worth it. It will always be worth it!

I think I'm going to keep this sweet little smiley face paper in my scriptures too...to remind me of the goodness of a little girl and that those Christ-like attributes I desperately want to develop might sometimes have to be developed one painstaking moment at a time when it is tempting to do otherwise. I really hope someday I can be as nice and kind as Ted was.

2 comments:

Carbonneau said...

so sweet Tiffany! good job, keeping our cool is not always easy as a Mom. Our children often teach us through those rough times and later quiet moments. thanks for the reminder!

Debbie Jones said...

Lovely post. You are a great mom and I am very proud of you. I Love you. I hope Miles didn't hit his head when he flipped!