Sunday, March 24, 2013

A(nother) birthday

Hailey celebrated her 5th birthday yesterday (March 23rd). I love Hailey so much. She is a great example and a light in our family. I am so glad she graced our lives 5 years ago.

I don't prefer friend birthday parties for my kids. I guess I worry about them getting entitled or spoiled, but since we have moved to a new state and the kids have made new friends and new memories I thought throwing friend birthday parties this year would be a great memory for each of them (Clay will have a family party since he will only be 2). Hailey picked out this cute cake on pinterest:


So we tried to mimic it. She picked strawberry cake with chocolate frosting. She wanted sprinkles in the middle too, so it is kind of a camouflaged 5. Can you see it?  


I know I keep saying how grateful I am for the friends our kids have made, but it is because I truly am. The neighbors and ward members have been so kind and friendly and inviting. It has been better than I could have imagined. We told Hailey she could pick 6 friends to invite. We got "Hello Kitty" invitations and she decorated each invitation with drawings on the envelopes and stickers.

Here's Tony, Clay, Miles, Hailey, Ellie, Sadie, Ashton, Sawyer, and Brielle.
Hailey wanted an "animal party" so that's what we did. We had animal noses for everybody...and, actually, I guess that was about as far as the theme went!

We also played games: pin the tail on the donkey, throw the paper airplane through the hula hoop, hot potato, and hot/cold (they hid a small box wrapped like a birthday present while somebody left the room. When the finder came back in the room they sang songs softly for "cold" and loudly for "hot".

The kids ate hot dogs and cut up fruit for lunch. And of course, the cake. Everybody had fun. I especially enjoyed the post party nap I took.

Happy birthday Hailey! 

You are beautiful and kind and an inspiration to me. She has told me lately "Don't stop being beautiful!" So now we say that to each other. And on one evening when Clay was crying at my legs and I was trying to make dinner and Miles was saying "Maaawwwm, I am huuuuungry...." I took a deep sigh. The bewitching hour was in full swing. Hailey came up and said to me, "Just keep trying mom. Don't give up!" It made me laugh and gave me the extra "umph" of energy I needed right then. Thanks for being a wonderful person Hailey!

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I love that you let Hailey pick out her cake on pinterest! Hailey is so sweet. Sophie talks about her all the time.