Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Our Miles

I will start by adding these following cute conversations/sayings by Miles in the last couple of years:

Miles: "Could you wash my shoes for me?"Me: "Why are they so muddy?"Miles: "There were a lot of puddles at school today. I couldn't tell which ones were muddy and which ones were not so I walked through all of them." (August 2012)

Hailey: "Can I play that?"
Miles: 
(Holding a Checkers game box) "It says 'ages 6 and up.' I'm almost 6 so it's ok, but you're just out of luck." (February 2012)

Miles (singing): "We believe the first principles and ordinances of the gospel are first faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, second repentance, third baptism by emergency for the remission of sins..." (January 2012)

Me: "I think you have a little cold."
Miles: (feeling the back of his hand to his forehead) "No, actually I think I have a little hot." (October 2011)

Miles: "Zoey said BYU is a college. I told her that it's actually football."(October 2011)

Recently I sat down with Miles to play Monopoly (his choice of game these days). I really wanted to make sure to spend some time with him so even though I was dying for a nap we sat down together to play. He and I played for a few minutes but then he looked at me with a little smile and said, "I know you want to spend time with me mom, but can I just go play with Hailey please?" I was more than happy to comply because I was soooooo tired. Well, we cleaned up the game and he gave me a little smile and said thanks and ran off to play with his sister. I could tell he appreciated what I was trying to do and I was grateful and just knowing that he realized I wanted to sit down and spend time with him (despite wanting to do something else) and that he sat down to spend time with me (despite wanting to do something else himself) was nice. We both made an effort to show each other love and that's what I loved about that experience. Oh, how I want to have those "connect moments" with Miles.

Miles has grown a lot in the last year. He has a best friend named Brady who lives in the subdivision behind our house. They are in the same class at church and at school. Today he went to another friend, Sam's, house. He's in Miles' primary class too. His teacher this year is Miss Mathews. The class theme is "Hawaii"--the classroom is decorated with Hawaiian decor and there is a little picture of each child on their own surf board on the wall. So far, school has always been easy for Miles and this year seems to continue this trend. 

 Miles is doing great with his chores and responsibilities at home. He sure isn't always that happy when he finds out he has to fold his laundry before playing or clean the toilets before going outside, but for the most part he will accept his "fate" and do it. :) Someday, hopefully, he will be grateful his mommy made him do chores!

 He is taking piano and doing a little fall swim team that starts in October. He LOVES to play the Wii and the computer and the ipad. He will do ANYTHING to earn screen time. I have definitely used this to my advantage! 
Pagosa Springs, CO (July)
Camping in the backyard with Hailey. They came in about 5am when the sprinklers turned on.
Cute picture of our little fam I thought. In CO with my family.(July)
Miles LOVES, LOVES, LOVES to pose for the camera. :) Here he is with my 17 year old brother Josh, and Joey ready to go river rafting. I made Joey promise me he would be SO careful with Miles and that they'd share a raft--because you know me ;). 
With his sister at the Logan Temple.
The most exciting thing about Miles this year for me is our study of the Book of Mormon together. He used to struggle with sitting down and reading with me each night. Now, he he reads effortlessly through his column. It is a nice surprise when he pauses to make a comment or ask a question as we read. I changed things around to make it easier for both of us (instead of reading a page each we both read a column each now) and we watch the scripture stories on friend.lds.org when we are done reading one that is on the website.  I love this time with him.  I love our Miles.


No comments: