I've made peace with Halloween.
For the last few years I've held a grudge against it. I didn't appreciate the candy. I loved the candy as a kid. But now that I'm grown-up and have kids of my own--all the Halloween candy looks awful to me!
This year I once again pulled out the dress ups the day before Halloween and let the kids rummage through and pick whatever they wanted. They were excited and spent a long time trying on things. They were happy and it was simple.
I tried to have a good attitude and gratefully accepted the
crap, I mean candy, that was generously given to my children. I have started to realize that there are some things in life that are going to happen regardless of anything I do--candy on Halloween is one of them. So I smiled and tried to not think too much about the nutritional nightmare piling up in each of their pumpkin buckets.
Deep down I wish we would all hand out other things on Halloween--like fruit snacks and pretzel packs, packages of crackers, and little boxes of raisins or toothbrushes and pencils and bookmarks, or even nickles and pennies. I know people who like the candy would probably think that's lame, but I can dream.
I do have to give Halloween a little credit because there have been some pretty cute memories along the way. I looked back on our previous years of Halloween and got a little sentimental. I enjoy having memories of these kids all dressed up.
 |
| 2013 |
 |
| 2012 |
 |
2011
 |
| 2011 |
|
 |
2010
 |
| 2009 |
 |
| 2008 |
 |
| 2008 |
 |
2007
 |
| 2006 |
|
|
1 comment:
Those past Halloween photos are the best!
A friend gave me the following idea. We did it with Sabrina this year, but Sophie didn't want to participate. We leave a bag of candy on the door step the night after Halloween and the "Halloween Witch" takes it and leaves a prize in its place sometime during the night. That helps get rid of candy a little bit.
Post a Comment