Monday, August 13, 2012

A new school year!

Here is Miles on his first day of First Grade!

Oh boy was he excited! He was up and ready and wanted to walk to the bus stop at 6:45...whoa buddy, slow down! I let him ride the bus, but then met him right outside his classroom that morning for one more hug and kiss goodbye.

Sending Miles to kindergarten was emotional for me. And it was emotional for him. It was just all around emotional and a big adjustment for both of us. There are some points throughout motherhood where I think "why didn't anybody tell me this would be so..." (fill in the blank...hard, wonderful, painful, happy, sad, scary... ) and the first day of kindergarten for my oldest child was one of those.

Here's the great news: First grade was WAY easier! It has been wonderful! Miles has an awesome attitude and he loves his teacher! It was way easier for me too. This year I did not cry! No smeared mascara this time!

I love Miles and I can't wait to go help out in his classroom!

And...drum roll please...here's Hailey on her first day of Joy School!

Left to right: Jamie, Hailey, Porter, Ike, Nathan. One of the Joy School moms is also a talented photographer and took this picture for us. 

 Hailey has been waiting to participate in either preschool or Joy School for literally half her life! Three and two years ago she loved seeing her big brother participate in preschool and then Joy School and she wanted to do those things too. I mustered up the courage to do another round of Joy School, we found a few other cute kids and wonderful moms, and got some groups set up. We had Joy School at our house last week and are having it here again this week and these kids are going to be such a great group. They are so cute!

Last, but not least...this little guy gets to spend the whole school year home with Mommy!! Yay!!
While the other kids are gone at school and joy school we are going to read board books, take the jogging stroller out on walks and jogs, go to the playground, do some work in the (overly weedy) garden, and just hang out and play at home. Nothing beats just shooting the breeze and hanging out with my baby!

I am super excited for the 2012-2013 school year! It has already been great and I see many good things in the coming months.

The only thing is...I wish our children would stop growing up so quickly...there is nothing better than being their mom, but I have this sneaking feeling that there will be more smeared mascara days ahead of me as the years roll by and they continue to reach milestones and grow up.

1 comment:

Reed & Sheryl said...

Your post brought back all the "happy yet sad" feelings of taking a kindergartener on their first day of school! Each one is just as hard!

Mom Hancock