Thursday, September 8, 2016

"I'll remember..."

I have a little bedtime routine with the kids most nights.

Hailey and I have this thing we say to each other as I tuck her in. It started because I used to say to her, "Don't forget to pray!"

One night I guess I didn't say this and Hailey said to me as I was leaving her room, "I won't forget, if you don't forget." And so started our little saying to each other. One of us always says to the other, "I won't forget if you don't forget." It's a cute reminder for both of us to end our day with prayer.

Yesterday was a looooong and busy day. Extra curricular activities took up our morning (Clay has afternoon kindergarten and morning swimming) as well as our evening (Miles had a football game last night). Homework was finally complete. Joey was gone. I was soooo tired, but somehow we sat down for our routine of scriptures and family prayer, we cleaned up a massive load of legos that was strewn across the boys floor, younger children bathed, everyone was happy, but I was really sleepy. Luckily, it was a quiet, wonderful evening despite being super late and super exhausting.

As I tucked Hailey in I guess I forgot to say our saying. As I was leaving her room she sat up sleepily and said, "Mom, I'll remember..." and proceeded to kneel by her bed.

But as I left her room and thought about her words they meant something more to me than just that she was remembering to say her bedtime prayers. To me, it was a reminder that my efforts as a mom are not for naught. Maybe she'll remember how much I love her throughout her life! I hope so.


No comments: